September 2, 2012

What KIND of Smart Are You?


Did you know your brain is like your fingerprint, totally unique?!? 

Howard Gardener, a psychologist and professor of neuroscience at Harvard, developed a theory to explain how different brains work. It is called Multiple Intelligence Theory. It says that there are eight (technically nine, but we're only going to focus on eight) different kinds of intelligence and that we each use the eight intelligences in different ways.

To read about each of the intelligences click here: What Are Multiple Intelligences?

During the first week of school, your job is to find out what KIND of smart you are. To take the survey click here: Take a Survey

The survey will graph your intelligences for you. What is your strength? What is your weakness? Please bring in your graph the first week of school. We will graph our results as a class. You may be surprised how many different smarts we have. (If you can't print the graph at home, don't worry, I'll give you some time during class).

Tip: My secret code is: vb46f99904. If you go to the "Results" tab and type that in, you will see my smarts.





 

3 comments:

  1. Love that you are interested in Howard Gardner. I've only read a bit, but he's brilliant and we are learning so much about how we learn through thinkers like him—a glimmer of insight into your influences tells me more about you as a teacher and gives me confidence. We're new to the system so I have very little context so this snippet of information is probably more exciting than it would otherwise be! [At one point I thought I'd love my boys to be in a Gardner influenced program.]
    Karin Rathert Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The students have really enjoyed taking the surveys and seeing how the graphs turned out. It's always interesting to see how many different kinds of experts we have in our class!

      Delete
  2. i really love this font

    ReplyDelete